Representative Elect Ricki Ruiz – Legislative Aide 1 (Chief of Staff) Position:
Representative-Elect Ricki Ruiz (he/his) is seeking a team-oriented individual to serve in the role of Legislative Aide/Assistant, to support him through legislative, constituent support and robust communications. Rep-Elect Ricki Ruiz is taking on an important policy agenda. We are looking for a Legislative Assistant who will play a key role in supporting this work.
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, the Capitol Building is currently closed to the public and all non-essential personnel. Successful candidates will work both from home and within the building throughout the course of the legislative session. While working from home, personal, stable, and high-speed internet access will be required to perform the functions of this position. There are occasions that require the person in this role who was previously scheduled to be working from home, to report to the Capitol Building. Every effort will be made to provide reasonable notice. However, as with all Capitol employees, the COS may be required to report to the building under short notice.
Title: Legislative Chief of Staff to Rep-Elect Ricki Ruiz (LA-1)
Compensation: Depending on experience, determined by Pay Equity Office
(Estimated $3,200-4,900/mo; healthcare benefits, accrued PTO and sick days, paid holidays included)
Date: January 1, 2021 (earlier start date can be discussed)
Working Title: Legislative Assistant/Aide
Work Unit: House District 50 (Gresham/SE Portland)
Eligible for Overtime Pay: NO
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS AND APPLICATION
- One year of experience performing administrative duties in support of organization projects or programs. Qualifying experience would involve data collection and analysis; project evaluation and/or analysis; interpretation and application of laws, rules, and regulations; or similar experience.
- Bachelor’s degree and experience which include full performance level typing, word processing, or other generation of documents AND lead work responsibility or coordination of office procedures.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Legislative processes and practices
- Existing legislation and its ramifications
- Historical context of policies
- Current bills in process
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Data management
- Researching policy issues
- Office management
- Event organization
- Management and supervision of staff, volunteers, and interns
- Pay close attention to detail
- Manage time effectively and stay organized
- Multitask and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Remain calm and flexible under pressure
- Understand complex legislative issues
- Provide excellent customer service and maintain a friendly, welcoming, and professional disposition
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in both English and Spanish;
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills;
- Ability to lead strategic planning and implementation of policy work
- Ability to work effectively with multicultural, diverse coalitions, partners and stakeholders
- Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of individuals and groups
- Experience in developing and managing budgets
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries and confidentiality
- Ability to work remotely and in person in both Portland/Gresham and Salem
Send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PDF cover letter – including pronouns
- PDF resume — limit to two pages
Include “LA1” in the subject line of your email message.
Please submit applications by 9:00 PM on Saturday, November 28, 2020. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, until filled.
Questions concerning the position should be directed to
The Office of Representative Ricki Ruiz is actively seeking to increase representation and develop the leadership of women, LGBTQ people, people with lived experience of economic injustices, and other underrepresented groups. The Office of Ricki Ruiz is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other legally protected classification.